Friday, August 12, 2011


My Best Friend-in-Law

I cried my eyeballs out receiving Sharon Lee’s email. It, most fortunately, carried one of the best, best, berry best news this entire year. And what flowed from these coin slot eyes were a river of happiness.

Bliss.

Nestled within the email was news of her ROM along with pictures of the happy couple surrounded by their friends. Though I wasn’t able to attend their ROM ceremony per say; I was, well almost with her most step of the way.

I wept like a mother giving away her daughter. Blardy Hell.

We had shared the moment of when and how Berj proposed, the RING (yes, the one ring to rule them all) and thankfully she was kind enough to censor out the moments thereafter.

Studying the pictures like a PhD student, I soaked in the blissful couple’s happiness captured on celluloid. With the wind in her tousled hair, her (very slutty) little navy dress and a shower of baby blue geraniums, she took my breath away.

Doesn’t time fly?

Once upon a time, like a child hankering after a parent’s love, I was initially quite resistant towards Sharon Lee’s romance. A part of me was happy for her to start a new relationship given her slew of ang moh’s in a foreign land. Yet, there was another part of me that felt threatened by this intrusion into our life that could possibly rob me of her attention. Childish and defensive me got even more riled up when I first met Berj because he called her fat.

I so wanted to punch his face.

But time wore on and bore witness to his steadfast love towards my best friend. I saw how hard he fought to be with her. She loved him, but nothing can take away the memories that we have forged. Together. And I too, softened to accept this man that would be lovingly holding her hands in times of need. He’s proven that he's able to see her through tough times and as a result, they’ve come out stronger as a couple.

Heck, even Ross acknowledges the fact that we are both extremely hard headed women whom are a challenge to live with.

Ross, watch your mouth ah..

So I’m no longer the jealous brat of yesteryear. I’m going to love Berj because he’s my best friend-in-law. And come December, I’ll have a chance to ridicule him! It’s something I can’t wait!! Hohoho..