Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Penny For Your Thoughts

Sometimes people wonder why they have to spend so much of their lives working hard to draw a pay check at the end of the month, only to spend it all and get sucked into the cycle over and over again.

Incidentally, this same question did not evade me. Years ago, I pondered over this same flawed logic and spent countless nights scratching my scalp bald for specks of reason.

Essentially, work is a necessity in this life. And a job gives one the avenue to earn their keep. Regardless of whether you end up in the career of your choice, you cannot survive without money and thus, you have to work.

Such is the burden of life.

However I’ve come to realize that I actually enjoy what I do. Cleaning backsides take courage, apart from thick skin. And if I may point out, cleaning is very much an art form. And not everyone has the stomach to swallow the sight of undigested feeds merlion-ed unto the floor (ala exorcist style) or milk shake-esqe shit smeared where ever you can imagine.

I’m glad my job allows me the option to see the direct impact my actions have on other people. The results of my work are not abstract figures but real time, real life consequences.

What I do actually make a difference. Wow.

On the aspect of pay, all effort requires reward. And although I strongly believe I should earn more then I currently make (frankly, don’t we all?), the pay is sufficient to comfortably make ends meet.

How can I complain?

How can I complain when in front of me, I see people having to work 14 hour days and still requiring sacrificing what little time they have left to divide between traveling, sleep and family?

How can I complain when within our shores, poverty is still camouflaged ?
When starvation is rampant in this world and war prevails?

Some people don’t even have the chance to get a warm meal a day.

I guess it’s what you end up doing with the money that counts. If you have sufficient grey matter (and time) to go online and read my entries, I’m deducing you would have enough grey matter to spend money wisely.

Thus, it is a personal choice to flush your hard earned money down the cashier at LV or perhaps into the palms of weary child, hungry for crumbs.

Maybe Vietnam left a deep impression in my soul.

I can still picture the sunlight bouncing across the cheeks of the children there, setting their lovely smiles aglow. I can still hear their tireless chuckles. And I’ll never forget the children running down the driveway, stirring the gravel beneath their worn soles, waving feverishly as our bus pulled out.

Gratitude dissolved in their tears.

Lord, I pray for the opportunity to exercise wisdom to make the right choices in life, to never forget those less fortunate and remember the many blessings bestowed upon me.

God, let me go back. Please.