Monday, October 08, 2007

Unable to sleep the night before, afraid that I might oversleep, I trotted lazily back to the ward this morning. For the first time in a long while, I managed to stride in. Unlike my usual sprint, where my legs are fighting against the sand of time (insert irritating Days of Our Lives theme song) to rush in before they draw the dreaded red line that demarcates being late.

Hur hur hur.

It was good to see Angelica again. She’s been moved to Room 39. I could have sworn her eyes widened when she saw me. Breaking into a smile, she quickly went on to complain about being hungry and how the other nurses have been ‘bullying’ her. Hahahaa.. She still clings on like a marsupial upon transfer.

I had to readjust my bearings to all the new patients. A few were readmitted during my absence. And the rest were new acquaintances I had to familiarize myself to. As usual, Monday mornings are busy. With changes. Transfers. Dressings.

I did three dressings today. A simple PICC and 2 massive ones. 1 of which was the size of a personal pan pizza. "Hey Boss, you want some pizza?" (me to my preceptor) Yes, the damn sacral wound was that huge. It used the vacuum method so I re-learnt something.

Another consisted of 14 separate wounds on 1 patient. Some of which were deep craters, cleverly exposing the tendons and bone beneath. It even came with purulent exudates that were frolicking merrily in the ‘wells’. It took me and my preceptor (simultaneously doing the dressing) 1 ½ hrs to complete.

Shit massive.

I don’t understand how people can allow the wounds to get so bad. If osteomyelitis doesn’t kill you, septicemia will. Given the patient’s current health condition and their underlying co-morbidities, the only thing we can do at this stage is to prolong the chances of the patient actually hitting the jackpot.

Room 22’s very cute. He read my name tag and called me “Sharon”. I corrected him and he just said, “Aiyah, my engerlish not very good.” But I told him the meaning of my name anyway.

And he ended up asking for me most of the morning.
Pressing the call bell just to tell me he peed.

Haiyoh.

Room 38’s family was also very funny. Her son insisted on giving me a packet of curry noodles. He practically stuffed the packet in my arms. So, without much of a choice, I had to accept.

And I only saw him for less then 30 min.

Room 21 had his physiotherapy today. I gave him a shout-out and thumbs up combo. And the feisty old fella mirrored me. Hahaha.

My morning flew by with all the NG feeds, bathing, dressings and whatnots.

My ward mates were happy to see me back. So was I. Sophia cried and jumped in jest to see me back. Indra gave me the eyeball. Phyu Phyu still asked me whether I was going to be transferred. Hahaha. And the sisters each came to me to tell me I was naughty.

What gives?!

I only wished that F4 was complete. Only Kristabel was around in the afternoon. Mokie had IT training. Snoopy was on a well deserved break.

And yes, the Gary saga blazes on.

In the morning, he shouted at me in the hallway again.

Gary : Good morning!
Me : Gooooood morning!
Gary : How are you?!
Me : Good!
Gary : Goood!
Me : Gooooooooood!!!

Aunt Gogi : Wah, Jerry’s your friend ah?

Me : Of course! And he’s GARY, not Jerry lah.
Gogi : Ah.. Hahahahaa.. (sheepishly) Orh… Gary ah.

I even got the opportunity to chat with SN Goh from Research. She said I had lots of energy, and that she enjoyed seeing me interact with the patients. And while we were having our little chit chat, kaypoh Gary decided to come over.

Gary : (To SN Goh) Can you believe she’s (my age)?!
(To me) Aiye.. you really (my age) ah!

Me : Yeah.. why?

Gary : I thought you just passed out wan leh!
Me : Duh. Yeah, I started nursing late mah.

Gary : Your this kind of face (my age) wan ah?!
Me : Then your this kind of face (his age) meh!

Gary : Hah!

Standing beside me, I noticed these :
- He’s tanned.
- He’s got nice shoes. Square toed ones, all black and shiny.
- He’s a neat dresser.
- He’s got beady eyes.
- He’s forever smiling.

Either I look funny or he’s loony. I seriously suspect it's the latter.

He informed me that many people told him he looks younger then he’s age. In turn, I announce that people still ask me for my IC. Ho Ho Ho.

Now beat that Babeh!