Monday, September 17, 2007

LOVE

Psst......... Allow me to share with you a little secret. I’m falling in love.

And yes, I’m falling in love with my ward.

It’s been a heck of a ride these past few months. Adapting to the new ward environment and taking on the responsibilities of being a staff nurse, almost playing gawd to the patients under my charge.

But first, I would like to share with you a little about the people that have helped make life so joyous.

F4
This seriously cracks me up.

The moniker was coined up one fine day by an otherwise bored Zihui. She decided to christen the 4 newbies in the ward this because we were all talking about drama serials. And she said that this term seemed so apt for us.

Apparently, I’m Dao Ming Si – the leader.
Kristabel is Hua Ze Lei – the act cool one.
Zihui is Vaness – the ang moh.
And of course, Snoopy is Ken – the happy-go-lucky one.

I doubt many others would actually bother to remember the characters in the Meteor Garden series. But, you get my drift.

They’ve helped my transition into the wards to be a wonderful experience.

All my makan sessions with Kristabel and the gang have helped ease away the stress of a busy work day. And joking about Lao Lao and Ah Chow, never ceases to stretch my occularis oris sideways.

Incidentally, my waistline also seems to be stretching sideways.

My Preceptor
At first, she seemed to be cold and strict. Slowly, she’s becoming one of the few people that I’m beginning to learn to trust. She’s helped to guide me into the steam of things that follow in the wards. From patient education to pulling my weight with the doctors.

Often, she allows me the freedom to do as I please, bestowing a kind of trust that is, at the same time both flattering and exhilarating.

She makes me call the doctors who play the game of Tai-Chi, settle the hiccups that may occur, chides me when she feels I can do things better. At the same time, she understands my needs, allows me to get away with murder, and stands up for me when needed.

In short, she looks after me. Very well.

My Patients
I love them to bits. All the silly things that we do together, I’m really lucky to have met these people.

I’ve had to opportunity to mend broken family ties, been kissed a few times and traded hugs with many of them whom has crossed paths with me.

Their ‘thumb-ups’, sincere smiles, spontaneous laughter and little pats on the back soothe away whatever resentment I brew within. And even when patience thins and deadlines beckon, they never fail to make me realize why I am here in the first place.

Maybe that’s just why I get so pissed when I see them simply not having the care they deserve.

Yes, Assoc Prof Angelica, your decision to discharge Rm 40 is invalid. (inside joke)

The People
The ward staff is an eclectic mix of people from all walks of life. From the haughty, to the blardy damn weird, the beautiful to the hardworking, the downright freaking lazy slobs to the background wallpaper people.

Each has their own little place in the wards.

Where else can you get such drama outside Caldacott Hill in little ol’ Singapore?

The Men
Yes, this category of adds spice.

By this, I’m specially pointing out :
- The cleaner(s) – whom I swear I never said were cute
- KC – which Kristabel insists is my lover
- Gary – whom I blatantly blast is HER lover, and is by the way, loving admired by the other cleaner and particularly voluptuous staff

But I think I’ll keep this topic under wraps for now =)

And dedicate an ENTIRE entry on their antics! RA i tell you!!