Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another day

It was a good day for me today. I bumped into Chicken and Jolene on my walk to work, so we made arrangements to have our break together. Unfortunately, only Jolene (besides me) managed to keep in schedule. Pity Mokie wasn’t able to leave on time. I had wanted to pull her out of the wards for makan so bad.

The Palliative Nurse came to see Room 23 today, and midway through the conversation, my auntie started to cry. I went in and started consoling her, telling her not to cry and be so sad. But the nurse said that it would be a good release for her.

So I just hugged her.

She gripped me so tight I could feel her sorrow course through my veins. She buried her face in my shoulder, sobbing softly in my arms as i embraced her. I felt helpless. So helpless, as i found my own cheeks being warmed with grief.

I can only hope stroking her back while she cried, offered her some redress.

Room 25’s appetite has improved greatly. She actually told me she was hungry and asked for some oats after lunch today. And she managed to finish a whole bowl. A fine feat, considering the tough journey we all went through to up her feeds from ¼ bowl, to ½ share now.

And my uncle in Room 21 cried after telling me his story of not being able to marry the love of his life in his younger days. I sat him out of his room, to allow him greater interaction with people rather then the 4 walls. He said he felt much better after that.

I’m unsure of why emotions were so rife today.

Even the Gary saga raged on.

He passed Gogi his telephone number early in the morning so she could pass it to his alleged admirer. And yes, if you must know, K received it. Wahahhahaaa…

I met Gary in the ward later in the day and traded greetings. Tons of people went to his room to chat. Gogi and the male cleaner kept popping into his room, so much so it was distracting. With the renovation workers, staff and Research people back, the ward seemed bustling with activity.

A far cry from yesterday’s mellow aura.
Even Mokie and K came by to eyeball Eczema Girl whom i thought was around. They managed to walk by Gary's room though. My, my.. what attention he got.

A while later, he stopped by outside Room 38, where I was about to position the uncle for an ECG. It was strange to see him standing in the doorway just as Sophia was about to close the door. Even if he is a SN, and I bet he’s witnessed things like these countless times, he's not part of my ward. And that man just stood there.

Obscuring the sunlight streaming in.

So I asked him how it felt to give his number away. He looked puzzled and questioned if the person was me. He said Aunt Gogi had given him so many names it confused him. Hahahahaa… Relentless, Gogi followed up with the matchmaking service, asking if K had kept his number. I tell you, I was a little disappointed when K showed me the note, a little piece of paper with just his name and number.

Aiyoh, like that how to tackle girls leh?!

Thus, I brought it upon myself to write, “K, I LURVE YOU”. Ok, it would seem a wee bit desperate and stalker material if he had actually done that, but anything would be better then just the plain note right? K just pursed her lips and shook her head while I giggled.

Aunt Gogi says it is rude to throw the number away.

Hence, I reminded K to at least sms poor ol’ Gary an obligatory thanks for his time. I mean, can still be friends right? Gaining is better then losing right? Heeheeheee.. And Gary looked a little sad near the end of the day. So I’m guessing K had not smsed him.

Haiz.

Did the joke really get out of hand?

I think I may need to lock the both of them together in the MO’s room. Or perhaps drug both. Maybe even a bit of both. Hehehhehee…

Everyone says I’m naughty. Wrong. I’m mischievous.

PS – We launched Trendcare this week. And it’s shitty cause it eats into the time I spend with my patients.