Wednesday, October 18, 2006

LIVE ONCE. LIVE WELL. LIVE STRONG.

The following entry is inspired by Zul's entry in his blog where he writes about the people and situations that have helped shaped him.

Yes, the same lame fella who squirted normal saline on me after debate practice and gave me a cutting-edged look of a wet crotch. The same guy with the 'dandruff eyebrows' (a moniker lovingly bestowed by Fara). The same man who feeds his toyol living in his bag with a burger, half eaten no less. And the same person who projects an image of happiness but hides his inner most emotions.

Don't we all?

******************************


I too, am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

And i seek solace in the fact that there IS a God. And that God loves me. Seriously loves me. During the darkest days of my life, when all i could hear was death beckoning me. I contemplated suicide with every waking moment.

Every breath drew blood.

I was unable to envision any road other then death. And i hoped that death would stop all emotions. I pleaded for the pain to stop. Help me to ache a little less. It didn't. I hated the world. I cried. But no one heard. I vented. But all they saw was rebellion. I withdrew. But all they saw was pride. When i talked, all they heard was silence. When i called out, no one answered.

Or so i thought.

And all i was left with, were the taunted whispers. Nagging little voices that egged me to cross that line. Just die, they mocked. And i almost did.

Patrick saved my life.
Sharon Lee gave me strength to continue life.
And i gave myself up to God.

And in an instant, i saw the world from a different perspective. A dimension that was there all along. I just didn't turn the other way. I saw myself arched over the rim of the toilet bowl. My abdomen convulsing. Mouth agape, allowing a passage for the greenish secretions to escape. I pushed my fingers into the back of my throat until i could vomit no more. I could not allow myself to disappear just like that.

I wanted to live. Badly.

There was too much in life to give up. To many what-ifs and could-have-beens. Too many questions unanswered. And too many people i loved to leave behind.

I spent the next few hours in drunken stupor, slipping in and out of consciousness. And when i regained some awareness, i worried about the after-effects of my folly. The questions faded as the voices from loved ones grew stronger. I could finally see their faces. Their faces contorted, testifying the shock and horror of it all.

What the hell happened?

How did things go so terribly wrong?

I could have let myself succeed with the suicide. I didn't tell anyone. I had it all planned out. I had a cocktail of pills and booze. I fed myself the rainbow colours and textures with robotic momentum. This will help, i rationalized.

It was the easiest method to end it all.

But what would that change? Nothing. It would have made things even worse. It was a selfish act that stifled out all the people that meant something to me. And would have erased all possibilities of change.

A paradigm shift ensued. I finally had the courage to lift up my head and open my eyes. I saw people that loved me all around. Their arms out-stretched, their lips curled into a smile. I heard their voices calling out.

They were there all along.

I was the one who didn't realize it.

******************************


Zul puts it simply :
"And sometimes things happen to me at the time that may seem horrible, painful and unfair, but in reflection I realized that without overcoming those obstacles I would have never realized my potential, strength, will power or heart."

"Without these small tests, life would be like a smoothly paved, straight, flat road to nowhere. Safe and comfortable but dull and utterly pointless."

(available online: http://pui5t3r-zlack3r-z30.blogspot.com/ 2006)

******************************


This particular entry was difficult to write and even more difficult to come to a decision to publish. It exposes a side that i would rather remain dormant. And in a perverse way, it refreshes wounds that i thought had healed and become scars.

I still carry the burdens i did before, but this time, i hold no fear, for i am no longer alone.

Thousands of people brave far worse conditions every single day of their lives. I have no reason to end mine. Instead, there is an obligation for a person as fortunate as me, blessed with health and opportunities, to return to society.

And with this, i hope is a start.

I'm thankful that this episode helped awaken a need in me to seek out my religion and in turn, allowed me to find myself.

"I am all i am because of you."

******************************

Come live in me
Take over
Come breathe in me
Take over
And i will rise on eagle's wings
I will rise on eagle's wings

- Eagle's Wings -