Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My posting in this ward ends in just 3 days. Then it's 2 greatly appreciated weeks of HOLIDAYS.

And i'm glad. Elated. With a smile that stretches as wide as my cheeks allow. And my happy hair continues to defy gravity and stand on end.

A few good things manage to wiggle itself out in this particularly dreadful posting.

For one, the patients i encountered, has further reinforced my perspective i have towards life.

I have a patient who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Fortunately, she discovered it in the initial stage and underwent aggressive treatment - Surgery to remove the growth, alongside chemotherapy coupled with radiation. Nevertheless, striken with the disease at such a young age didn't obscure her positive outlook in life.

"It made me stronger," was the exact words that rolled of her tongue. Unparalleled courage.

Another patient shows me the importance of family support. She confided in me, her intention of suicide (which we later highlighted to the staff in-charge). Now, her family has been informed and they are playing a more active role in her care.

Some of the staff are gems. My CI's also great. She's supportive and understanding.
They make coming to work a little less odious.

Although there will always be a handful, whose attitude is in severe need of an overhaul. When we inform them of potential dangers (ie. deviation from norm parameter values), they give a fuck face and complain. If i had my way, i'd have the whole lot of them stuffed into an oven, on high. Burning them to a smokey crisp, then spreading it over some barren land, fertilizing the soil - probably the only good they're capable of. I'd refrain from feeding them to animals for the simple fact that they may give the poor unsuspecting creature some disease of indescribable nature. Hopefully they won't harm the vegetation. I'm willing to take that chance.