Sunday, September 11, 2011

Bad Habits Die Hard

How apt it is when the gossip mongers cluck their tongues in unison to slither the words “a leopard never changes its spots”...

My body tingles with an irrepressible urge. My mouth dries out.

And I brush my fingers nervously across my lips, only to feel the cracks upon.

On the bed, I can’t help but twist and turn. My heart races. My lungs on fire.

I bite my tongue and pace around. My mind, already beyond space. Logic escapes.

I try to busy myself. To detach my thoughts from the desire to be with you. With you.

I can no longer breathe. No longer think. Too lost in you.

Just you.




Steadily, will power dissolves into the night air. My feet, possessed. My mind, hypnotized.

In a waking moment, I find myself gazing across the counter. My finger points to you.

Crisp notes slip from my hands.

The transaction completed.

A click, then a swoosh. And a flicker of orange dances.
I pull you to my lips. My anxiety vanishes. My head starts to spin.

Drawing a deep breath, rainbows appear.
My world, suddenly spectacular again.


My beloved Texas Five.