Saturday, August 07, 2010

Updates

It’s been a heck of a roller coaster ride for me these past few months. With celebrations revolving around work and personal life, extreme PMS and a slew of super irritants, the dust has yet to settle on the whirlwind of events that have made the months of July and August truly exhausting.

Let’s start with pleasant updates.

July paved the opportunity for wild spending sprees at Stradivarius and good ol’ Pull & Bear after the company dished out our biannual bonuses in late June. With cash in hand, SI & I made deposits for our upcoming trip to Korea! Finally..!! And yes, I’m so excited!!

I also had the chance to meet up with the Girls. Rams was possessed by a French ghoul as evidenced by her thick French accent and an embarrassingly hilarious use of ‘oui’ peppering her sentences. And while Rams & SI discussed prices of chanel bags, the remaining peasants indulged in the plates of tasty handrolls and crisp breaded prawns laid out enticingly before us.

My birthday is also in August! Alongside SI and Deeva, us Leos are another year older and (hopefully) wiser! Ross contributed to my travel fund and together with family, we spent the evening eating cake and prowling the pasar malam nearby which leaves me still fuzzy with warmth.

August also saw the hospital celebrating Nurses’ Day with free food and my new ward topped it off with their own private celebration on the 6th. This ward takes parties seriously.

Really seriously.

We had a line up of acts and performances and catered a feast for the crowd. One performance included a group of (yes, grown) men dancing. Alas, this was no ordinary dance! Gyrating to dance beats, they pranced around ala Chippendales. As the music wore on, their costumes got skimpier until lo and behold, they appeared in midriff tees or bare torsoes! One guy even had wings made from cotton balls. I think that supposed ‘cupid’ ended up looking more like the fat caterpillar who became a butterfly from ‘A bug’s life’.

My gawd..! How my eyes burn. Should I witness the horror of his pink nipples again, I swear I will gorge my eyeballs out.

But yes, that slapstick dance brought many a wolf whistles and cat calls in good fun.

On a more somber note, the ward has been rife with irritants, making my temper rise to unparalleled heights. On good days, I’m PR queen, cracking jokes and chatting with almost everyone. On bad days, I’ve got my face quietly buried between the case sheets as I furiously try to finish routine work while juggling changes and follow ups. On even worse days, I’m ready to snap at anyone. I try not to yell though. But I can assure you that just my face is enough to portray my contempt at the world amidst my curses and spits.

Talking to Sharon Lee helps ease the inner turmoil within as she dissects my behavior to identify the root cause. Often, her statements are blunt and merciless, yet enlightening. But being able to speak openly about how I feel is helping me to get through this patch. And for this, I’m grateful that after more then half our lives together and oceans apart, we’re still in sync with each other!