Thursday, September 17, 2009

Change

Another person has left my ward. This time, it’s a very capable Naz. Recently promoted to a supervisory level, she’s posted to the Infectious Disease Unit in the main building where she’ll join some of our old colleagues that have departed earlier.

Once again, we’re left with a void.

We're banging our heads on the wall and protesting for them to take Kym instead. Take her!!!

Work wise, Kym is fuming mad with the spike in the number of falls. And as usual, she’s doing a heck-of-a-job airing her displeasure. Sometimes, I really have to bite my tongue to stop myself from repeating a shouting match we exchanged earlier.

Hohoho.

Thus far, I’ve not received any news regarding my application for the advanced diploma due in Oct. The company has asked me to apply for the utilization of HMDP funds for the course sponsorship, which adds up to an extension of another 2 year bond period.

Truthfully, I just need a break from work so I hope to use the time off to reignite the dwindling passion towards my craft, spend some quality weekends with family and hang out with Stick Insect.

Also, since an advanced diploma is absolutely necessary in the eyes of my employer, I just want to get it over and done with while the neurons are capable of some electrical activity.

Sharon Lee is not too keen on my extending my bond though. She laments better prospects are aplenty in the private sector. She even wants to loan me money to pay off my current bond. Join me in the US. However, the thought of servicing a huge ass loan and skirting the rim of bankruptcy should opportunities lack is something I dare not jump into.

Like many others, I can tell you for sure that a higher paycheck is always enticing. I’ll never get rich here. Branded with the toxic combination of multi strata bureaucratic red tape ever prevalent in a large company, hormonally imbalanced colleagues and egocentric patients, it can be extremely difficult to draw joy from the banalities of work.

But when I reflect and ask myself, can I leave my patients behind? My hands are tied.

I hope life sorts itself out and sets me free.