Tuesday, November 06, 2007


Granny Lee passed away this morning.

She led a good life, leaving behind a bounty of people who loved her dearly. In her youth, Granny Lee fought hard to raise 4 children with her 2 hands after separating from her husband. She tried every respectable job available, just to feed hungry mouths not only belonging to her own family, but also those anyone who came to her in need.
Such benevolence beyond comprehension.

She taught her children the importance of education and family ties; thus ensuring them an independent life upon maturity. And in turn, they grew to have a deep respect for her.

She taught me the meaning of forgiveness; alongside the art of letting go.
And gave me such a wonderful gift in the form of Sharon.

I pray wherever she may be, she will be happy.
Memories that continue beyond tomorrow.

On a lighter note, I think the masses need and/or want to be updated on the Gary Saga.

On Friday, F4 minus 1, decided to meet up for lunch since Kristabel and I had to attend the symposium and Mokie was on the afternoon shift. We went to visit Lao Lao in her ‘prison’ and ended up chatting away quite merrily with her, wishing her a speedy recovery and helping to clear the fruits in her cell. She insisted we watch the infotainment channel on Fall Precaution and other crap.

Goodness.

I took the initiative to invite Gary to join us for lunch. At first, he gave a vague reply, ‘I’ll try to join if I’m not busy’. But yes, Cheryl is fond of having her own way. I told him to MAKE time.

End of story.

But Lao Lao’s visit went into overdrive and we ended up turning up late for the luncheon.

You should have seen Gary’s face when he saw us. He was seriously quite shocked. He was never informed that I would be bringing so many people along. Even Kristabel and Mokie also had to thank their good genes for keeping their eyeballs firmly in their sockets.

It amused me to no end. But hey, that man should thank his lucky stars. He got to lunch in with so many women. But we learnt that Gary is scary! He knows so many things happening in the hospital. And so many people came by to wave to him. Yikes..!

Kristabel got the prized seat in front of Gary, while Mokie got the next best seat in the house of being adjacent. I got the seat next to him. The safest! No need for awkward stares. Mokie acted virginal and just had drinks.

She thinks we’re at a bar.

Kristabel and Gary had some conversation going. A light banter I presume. Then she suddenly pulled a good one on me.

Kristabel : Hey! Derek L! (Points behind me)

Needless to say, I fell for the oldest trick in the book. I turned but no Derek. I returned her the favor though.

I pointed to an Ah Pek and said it was Brian S, just 25yrs older; complete with side comb barcode hair. We giggled like schoolgirls on laughing gas.
Poor Gary sat there, tormented by the childishness of it all.

Today, we met up to go break again. And to think, Destiny would strike again. On our way to the canteen, we bumped into Gary at Block 4. Mr Tam looked sooooooo happy! He only spoke to Kristabel.

I’ve got my eye on you!

If you think the world is small, then let me tell you, the hospital is much smaller.

I met Gary again when he went back to the ward. Him, with his usual cocky swagger. We exchanged greetings in the aisle a couple of times. He even said hello to Maggie. Hur hur hur.
Later in the evening, he tapped the glass divider to say goodbye, making me feel like a fish in an aquarium. I waved goodbye as I frantically finished writing my report. I had to arrange for blood. Feed my patients. Do turnings. Not a good time to entertain him. Maggie was impressed with his friendliness, maybe she wants him too. Wahaha...

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.