Tuesday, December 12, 2006

DESTINY VS CHOICE

Whatever happens, happens for a reason.

And whatever doesn't kill, just makes you stronger.

Do you believe in fate?
That your destiny has already been written in the book of life?
Or do you believe that one possesses the power to change the world?

I believe in a little of both.

We're all born with certain gifts. Gifts that allow us to stand out, and ultimately help define the person that we are. Besides these, the years also christen upon us, a slew of acquired qualities and a fellowship of relationships to see us to the end days.

Perhaps early on in life, being young and none-the-wiser, most decisions were made for us or even through the folly of youth. I know of friends that have unselfishly given up their dreams to live out the dreams their parents could not attain. I have friends that have entered marriage to save their family's fortunes. I have friends who have no courage to break free from the shackles of the past.

Some people may think it is the epitome of altruism.

But what good is life when that life is lived for others?

Age then brings forth wisdom and the unmistakable notion of freedom. Yet, I still see people who exhibit maturity beyond their age being chained to circumstances beyond their control.

I know of friends that have to support their sick parents (pertains to both mentally and physically) . I have heard of friends trapped in abusive relationships. I see some friends continuing a brave front, battling disease. I have friends doing things they do not enjoy.

Tousled between themselves and the world.

At times, we think we may have made mistakes. Or that this shitty excuse for life has left us severely shortchanged. Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, these are opportunities to learn. We have to undergo certain phases in life before we can move on.

Like a video game, where one gains power or talents after a fight before progressing to the next level.

We can decide what we want to do with our lives. We can use these lessons learnt through heartache and suffering. We can deal with the mistakes. We can empower ourselves to right the wrongs. We can gain knowledge from the years.

And when you start to hear a irrepressable urge to answer a calling... Know that your time is now. Turn not away, but open yourself to embrace something He knows lies buried within but you're too afraid to ask.

He knows of all the stupid things that i asked for, all i wanted was happiness.

We can find hope.

We can be strong.


***********************************************

I've had my fair share of experiences.
I've gone through the mandatory teenage angst.
I'm riding the waves of adulthood.

He gives me peace.
He heard my call, and i, His.

I look at my hands often to remind myself what I am capable of.
I only turn back to see how far I have come.
I look ahead to see how far I can go.

And look around to see how blessed i am.