Tuesday, November 14, 2006

--* The final chapter (Part One) *--

I'm running the last leg of the race now. Pretty soon, the curtain will draw to a close, and once again, I'll be off to embark on a new road. A road that will hopefully open more opportunities, revive old friendships and stir new experiences.

Though it's always painful to end some routines, I take heart in the very fact that memories can live on forever. And relationships, those that can withstand the test of time and distance, will take firm root in my life.

The years have brought not only academic qualifications, they have brought friendship in the least expected of places.

And no matter how hard I've tried to ease this transition, there appears to be a certain amount of undeniable heartache. And the fear of leaping into a whole new dimension in life.

Some friends have started a countdown to the final hour.

I have decided to express my feelings for all those near and dear to me. For there may come a time where dementia may rob me of all awareness. And the written word come so much so easier for me....

I'd like to say my thanks to the following people in particular:

1. Fara
My littlest friend, someone so dear and close to my heart.

Even though we've butt heads on many occasions, your truthful anecdotes have brought much insight. Your fearlessness to put me in place highlights not only your confidence in our friendship, but also the care you have for me.

You bring new meaning to the word fart. And sneezes.

At the same time, your inner child never fails to partake in the silly games my mind conjures. Leaving the walls and corridors to echo our shrieks and giggles.


2. Moonie
My book-burning, information-churning friend.

For as long as I can remember, you've never once gotten angry at being the butt of all my jokes. Instead, your giving nature has shown me what it means to take things in stride. Also, the courage you have shown to ride out adversities, has helped me to improve on being a better person.

Your ability to explain things calmly in a systematic manner illustrates your gift in teaching. Without you, where would I be?


3. Shidah
Though small in stature, Shid possesses the heart of a motherly lion.

One of the most forgiving persons I know. Her quiet nature has since evolved into one of confidence and her giving personality has swayed even the hardiest of hearts.

Her shopping queen instincts - Mango will not be the same without you.


4. Junaidah
Your happy giggles at anything I say, always send a smile to stretch across my face. If I get wrinkles, it must be your doing. Haha..

You have taught me the virtues of diligence and saving. And I would never have passed if not for you printing out all those e-lectures for me. Thank you.


5. Chicken Chia Suli
Attachments will never be the same without you.

Through the ice queen exterior, you have shown me what hard work and selflessness really is. Always putting the needs of the patient and your colleges before yourself. The mark of a truly wonderful nurse.

And I'll cherish all our break-time bitching and after-attachment walks to the MRT. Often ending in me reiterating the dangers of wearing your uniform out of the hospital. Heeheehee.


6. Lionel
Armed with the exterior of a hardened criminal, lies the softness of cotton. Our very own marshmallow man.

Your sometimes extreme jokes never fail to illicit laughter. And frankly, it's good that you're clear of the direction you have to life, goals and where you want yourself to be. Though at times, you try to hide the fact, I know that you have been very protective towards many in the class.

No matter how old I am, its good to know you'll always look 15-1yrs older then me =)


7. Zul
Last but not least. Our future Diplomat. The glue of the class. Under your direction, you've helped to foster bonds between the different cliques in the class.

I'm glad we managed to put our differences behind.

You have instilled in me the importance of good leadership. And the possibility of rearing a toyol in your bag. A story that I may well pass down to my children, grandchildren and great children.

This man solidifies the notion that situations can be handled with tact and grace, even though he has a knack of blowing up on me.


I'd also like to thank many others.. like Candy, who's my very own walking discount card, Evelyn, my mini pharmacist, Hoong Eng and Asyik, who have shared their knowledge selflessly, and the many others who make up the wonderful class of NR0416.



**********************

For all the times of anguish, stress and joy

For all the times of pain, sorrow and happiness

For all the faces that have been deeply etched into memory

For all the lessons I've learnt in and out of the classroom

Here stands a person renewed. Revived. Revitalized
Long live the people of NR0416