Friday, May 05, 2006

The week has been really hectic. Trust me.
Even though it is widely known that i LIE, CHEAT & STEAL.

A mad rush from west to central and back again. A whole 12 hours of work. 12 hours of responsibilities.

The stress of getting new clients -
- new medical conditions to digest
- new patients to familiarize myself with
- new sets of overbearing relatives to cope with
- new wards and their politics
- and the new need to make my patients & their family trust me

Oh... The headache. The pain. The agony. The drama.

To make matters worst, i am be cursed with a face of a conman. People seem to doubt me.
Allow me to prove my point -

Exhibit A :
I was assigned to nurse Client A. He had been admitted because a craniectomy was done to remove a haematoma he sustained after a fall. He is also bedbound, and had a tracheostomy in site to aid his breathing. Basically, they required me to attend to his hygiene needs, suctioning to remove his tracheal secretions and to accompany him. Very basic nursing care.

However, due to my facial defect(s), the relatives felt that i would not be abe to handle the situation. Or any situation that may arise. Heck, bear in mind - they have only seen me for a good half hour. What an impression i've made.

They questioned my capability and reiterated this to my agent, even though i had replied with a positive answer. To the extent of asking for a change of nurse if possible. A total disregard of my feelings. Fuckers.

Through the first half of the day, they shot curt comments and flashed me wary glances. They wanted to supervise whatever i did. Naturally, i obliged. It didn't bother me - i have nothing to hide.
I had to constantly remind myself : I'm doing this for the money. Again and again and again. It's only a day. Again and again and again. The humiliation i have to endure. And the shit i have to put up with. Dammit. Chee Bye.

Still, i continued. As thick skinned as skin can ever be.

I answered their queries and kept my client looking as fresh as a freshly scrubbed gleaming toilet bowl. Ok.. imagination's into hyperdrive again. By the end of the day, they were asking me if it was possible for me to be their regular private nurse.


My retort? Fuck you mutherfucking chee bye. Ok, i lie. Wahahaa... but wouldn't it have been great if i actually said that. Then again, I'm living in the real world and ultimately need to eat. So i ended up working for them for 2 days.

Exhibit B :
My second client - a retired minister (secular or spiritual, i'm keeping it confidential. You make your own assumptions). Basically, i was just required to render the same amount of nursing care - tracheal suctioning and lotsa lotsa TLC.

Again, his relatives had problems with me. At first.

During suctioning, he desaturated (of course it would, simply because i AM sucking out your air supply - together with all the secretions. sheesh). Being a layperson, she allowed hysterics to get the better of her. I somehow maintained composure with her wailing in the background and regained control of the situation. I ignored her outburst and focused on the client. If he were to drop dead like a fly, i'd be fried too.

Giving clear instructions and reassurance, i continued while she went to call the ward-in-charge. I had no fear - i knew what the hell i was doing. And she sure as hell didn't. The in-charge simply echoed my sentiments. Haha. I smell arrogant insolance.

The night past, and by morning, she was asking me if i was available for another night to look after her father. I could hear the curses float down from the heavens again. Fuck you too. Kena Sai. *flashes middle* Watcha gonna do....

Enough drama for the week. Time for me to rest. I'm nursing myself now. Down with a clogged nose (just like my pores) and rigors due to an irritatingly persistant fever.. i really need the rest.

Exhibit C :
Went to the convenience store at the corner of Far East Plaza to get a pack of ciggies. The cashier had the cheek to eye me and demand verification of age. The curses just grow more and more intense.

Just like a gospel rendition of expletives, raining down from parting clouds during daybreak.

Good thing i have the people i love to end my week with =)
Many hugs to Sharon Lee, for hustling me to install yahoo messenger (so she could show off the uber cool avatar she did), Moonie & Fara for a happening night of debate (even though we were like lambs to slaughter), Deeva for a super extended; mind numbing phonecall marathon (shit 4 straight hrs worth)... and a smile from dear lil rick and mini man.