Sunday, May 28, 2006

I'm so seriously pissed, i think íf i were having my menses, i'd probably soak 10 packs.
10 PACKS.
SOAKED.
SOAKED THROUGH TIL THEY LEAK.

Blame my foul mood on hypoglycemia.
Or blame it on severe nicotine withdrawal - i've seriously been cutting way way down.
However, the simple truth lies in the fact that i encounter MORONS all the time.

Fuck. Pui. Chee Bye.

I took on an assignment in the hospital today. Being a part-timer, i'm mostly slot in to relief the regular nurse on her off days. 1 good aspect of it, is the ability to work in a wide range of settings and nurse patients with very different diagnoses. It can be fun, but it DEFINATELY can be quite stressful.

Ok, back to my story. I arrived 5 minutes early (0800-2000hr shift). The night nurse (the patient's regular caregiver) passed over her report (for those unaware - this simply means, giving a brief history of the client's medical history and highlighting whatever needs to be done).

In turn.........

That Phua Chee Bye of a prostitute (must be related to Phua Bak Quah in some sick way) came to take over my shift at 8.25pm. I ended up leaving at 8.40pm. And she wasn't even apologetic.

I posed her some questions:
1. Why was the BiPAP machine's oxygen was connected to a humidifier? As far as i know, it ruins the filter (she thought that this was the humidifier) at the back of the unit. She thought i was refering to the humidifier in front. Hello. You got the 2 mixed up, not me.

Her answer : The day nurse has been regularly nursing him for so long. I don't want to interfere in her care.

FUCK YOU. What the hell does that mean? I couldn't be bothered. I switched to the oxygen port directly in the morning. Whatever nurse can do whatever they want, but when under my care, i do it with my conscience on the line, so i jolly well do it my way. Blardy hell, i've had the opportunity to nurse patients on the same BiPAP machine and i even asked the vendor before. None of them were connected to the humidifier.

2. Ask the doctors if the anti-arrhymthia medication could be rescheduled after the patient's dialysis. As far as i know, dialysis will affect the overall absorption of the medication.

Her Lam Pah reply : Huh... ok.

I admit, this was partly my fault. I overlooked the matter. It only struck me when the patient had dysrhythmia later on it the day and i was thinking if anything could have contributed to that. If i could, i would ask him myself. But i'm returning to school tomorrow. Still, i spread the word to the staff around. I do hope someone remembers to ask the doc.

3. I advised her to inform the regular nurse that that anti-arrhythmic is likely to cause hypothryroidism. Especially since this patient is elderly and has multiple underlying health conditions. It might be wise to check his thyroid levels once in a while.

You will not believe what she said : The doctor knows his case lah.

PLEASE! I'm not asking you to force the doctor with a knife or embarrass him in front of everyone. There is no harm in giving a gentle reminder right? Fucker. If i had blardy remembered earlier, i would have asked them myself.

4. She told me that i was not supposed to aspirate the Freka's tube before feeding. "Only NG tube can lor."

Please. Rolls eyes.

For your info, that rule is applicable because the diameter of the lumen is really small. However, this patient's Freka's size is equivelant to a Ryle's tube size 14. Why the hell can't i aspirate to check?

And for your info, NGT (nasogastric tube) is an umbrella term for all tubes inserted via the nose to the stomach. I think, that uneducated woman was refering to Ryle's Tubes. Stupid woman.

It's because of shabby work attitudes like this that really piss me off. You freaking pass to me rubbish. I'm not saying that i'm perfect. I still to learn many things. But i do try my best to find and practice the correct methods. I am so pissed. I do hope i die at home in my sleep for the simple fact that there ARE stupid people around in the hospitals. And this applies to doctors, nurses, cleaner, STUDENTS etc.

I will be more thorough in future. And think of as many worst case scenarios as possible.

And i will be meaner to bitches who cross the line in future. Quarrel then quarrel lor. I'm famous for that anyway.