Monday, April 17, 2006

MAGIQMIRROR part III

Fara's blog states of her confusion over choosing nursing as a profession. She shares that she's unaware of what made her decide to choose nursing over her childhood dream.

Some things happen for reason. And maybe, nursing chose her instead.

For me, I chose nursing for purely economical reasons (my childhood ambition was to be a journalist). I was never those that spoke earnestly of saving lives and all that bullshit. I had nowhere to enter but ITE with just my N levels. Office skills in ITE was out of the question (pay pathetically low and deskbound jobs don't appeal to me). Uncannily, it was ITE that later allowed me to build a bridge to do my diploma.

I have my fair share of close encounters, really nasty piece-of-shit characters, and the sadness of witnessing patients who later went on to became friends, pass away. I'm still in nursing for 2 simple reasons :

  1. I'm bonded(shackled) to a hospital. If i leave, i'll have to work as a prostitute to pay off the sponsorship fees. And most prob work night-to-day, day-to-night and possibly the need to distribute discount coupons, given my below average outlook.
  2. I can seriously say that i've grown to enjoy nursing.

I can't say that i love nursing. I still find all sorts of excuses to skive. And i hate to put up a plastic smile when in contact with mother-fuckers with rude attitudes. But i do believe that it's the same across most occupations. I'll never escape politics. Never escape idiots. Never escape making mistakes. But i do enjoy chatting, seeing different faces and playing with peoples' lives (ok, better leave the latter out). So why not just take things in stride?

Make no mistake - i'm sure as hell not shortchanging myself. I'm trying to see how far i can go (even if i appear to slack through school). Nursing has equipped me with a little general knowledge to manage illnesses (it'll be more if my brain can retain all that's been taught), given me a somewhat comfortable level of financial freedom (cannot eat full, not poor enough to starve to death syndrome), allowed me to meet a mix of people from all walks of life (from patients to my coursemates), and will enable me to cross borders (migration potential).

True job satisfaction comes from doing what you enjoy (ask any successful CEO/COO etc). And for now, i'm working towards my dream of one day working on board a mobile unit as part of the evacuation team. Going to desolate villages, war torn places, doing ops on planes.... in helicopters/planes/ships! Because then, no one would comment on my incessantly dishrivelled hair. Wahahhaa... it's in places like these that change your perception of superficialities life bombards one with, where people have the courage to face each day as their last and hopefully, where i can experience an unsurpassed satisfaction in what i do.

And perhaps one day i will be able to merge nursing with journalism?

I would like my job to be a positive aspect in my life, something that i'll look forward to each morning. And not just something that has to be done in order for money. I understand with dreams, come sacrifices. So for now, i'll just have to keep sacrificing (studying), and claw my way to wherever i can.