Friday, April 21, 2006

- CHAPTER: END -

Today marks the end of another chapter in my life.

I spoke to Sharon Lee the night before and voiced my concerns over a suspected case of physical abuse that was happening under my nose. There is a parent who seriously is in need of EQ education and anger management. Behind closed curtains, i often hear slapping sounds, harsh words, followed by loud cries from her young child. Her child was warded due to duodenal haematoma (it's unclear as to weather that was sustained from trauma or spontaneous, as the mother is tight lipped about the child's history).

The child is isolated in her bed as the mother refuses to let her come into contact with anyone sharing the same room with her. The mother also makes offensive remarks when the noise levels tip above silence (which is clearly impossible.. bear in mind that there are 5 other patients in the same room).

All students are not allowed to enter her 'domain' (an invisible barrier she has built by drawing her curtain shut). Ironically, when she needed to go down to buy lunch today, she asked her supposedly 'favourite' student to help keep an eye on her child. (How can you even expect the child to feel secure when we are not even given the opportunity to build a rapport with her?) The child no doubt started to wail hysterically without her mother in sight. I went to try to pacify the child.

At first, she refused to speak to me. She lay curled up on the bed, appearing frightened and called out for her mother. Her little cheeks lay stained with tears. She also tried to pull out the tubes that were connected to her. The 'favourite' student raised his hands in mock surrender and proceeded to call the mother back on his hp.

In the meanwhile, i finally manged to distract the child and started a conversation with her over her toy. Soon, the child was able to engage in a decent conversation with me. (Children change like the weather). An overly-clingy attitude could also be a symptom of abuse (i confirmed this with another lecturer trained in psychology).

Unfortunately, i was not able to assess the child physically given my short contact time - the mother had returned. She passed snide remarks, saying that the tubes were all messed up and asked her child is i had scolded her or ill treated her in anyway.

I read up on the history of the child from the supplied case sheets and made it my business to at least bring the matter up to higher authorities. Sharon Lee gave me the strength and the wisdom to fight my case. It wasn't an easy decision to make - i feared that i would be labelled baised (as the mother has had some unpleasant encounters with me) or a trouble-maker. But turning a blind eye may result with a child dead. Doing the right thing is never easy and cowardice is not a trait i would like to associate myself with.

On Ross's advice, i decided that it was only proper to speak to my lecturer instead of going direct to the ward mangers. If she dismissed my concerns, i would then seek alternative measures (and then plot to ruin her good reputation).

Luckily for me, my lecturer listened to my analysis of the situation. Explaining the sensitivity of the topic, she assured me that the ward managers and staff are currently looking into the matter. They have also referred the mother and child to a medical social worker and play therapist for covert psychological assessment. The staff are on alert and keeping a close watch. At least they are not blind. At least i have unloaded my burdens and can manage a night of blissful sleep. At least the child will be safe.

Today, we also celebrated Fara's birthday =)
Birthday sweetie.... may you grow taller =) or bigger in the chest?

And to top it off, the debate session today was a little more casual, except for another inclusion of a quirky character. Another super-slanged persona. This time, it's a female. She doesn't quite fit into the AMP mould. What struck me was her masculine mandible and wide teeth. So much bone. So much enamel. I'll christen her, Mutant Jaw (i never denied being a bitch). She took all effort to belittle my arguments. Haha. She wish she could do more. So did i. Wahaha. Bring it on! But please, save the toothy grin for the more appreciative... wahahaha...

in loving memory of C...
whose life has touched many in the short time she graced us with
i can only wish for peace to be unto you
rest well in God's loving hands